Thursday, June 16, 2011

Resouces resources ...

Yup, I have delayed posting this entry about the resources that I will be using to prepare for the PMP exam. Thats primarily because
1. I have researched a lot of resources in the last 24 hours and have evaluated them.
2. I have tried to map the available resources against my preparation schedule.
3. I have spent a lot of time today in defining SMART goals for my preparations in terms of timelines.

So what do we have at the end of it all?

PMBOK - Unarguably the Holy Bible of project management if you EVER want to qualify as a PMP. The PMBOK is a necessary (but not suffiecient) resource for preparations. Currently in its 4th edition, it is available for download from http://www.pmi.org/ There are a lot of downloadable versions available if you look at the right places. I personally prefer to buy my version. Call me a copyright freak or a man with conscience!

Rita Mulcahy - One of the best known names in PMP circles, Rita's book "PMP Exam Prep: Rapid Learning to Pass PMI's PMP Exam-On Your First Try!" is one of the best resources available to focus on the exam itself.

Kim Heldman, Terry Wagner, Linda Zaval - The "PMP: Project Management Professional Exam Certification Kit" is a voluminous resource and is one of the best resources available in the market. Where Rita's book lacks a flow approach, Kim Heldman's book is clear, concise and very readable.

Ron Weber - "Quality Software Project Management" has been my constant companion ever since I was studying project management as a subject. Now that I have come to this point where I am preparing for the certification, Weber's book will be a constant companion yet again but will be used only for referential purposes if I get stuck somewhere and the other three books dont give me enough explaination. If it aint in Weber's book, its nowhere....

With the above mentioned three resources, I am enbarking on the journey to get the PMP Certification. Hopefully, I will complete my preparations by November and will be ready for the exam in December 2011. Now that the resource selection is done, I am so looking forward to the next two weeks in India with my family. While I am there, I will try and read Rita's books whenever I have time (yeah right) and once I am back, I plan to spend a good 2 hours a day on the three resources till I get the first reading over with. Sounds ambitions, I know. But then again, Project Management has always been close to my heart. It was my MBA specialization and my first job ever!

Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment